Monday, October 4, 2010

And now for something completly different

Today should have been a rest day. After spending a week with a cold and not training at all I figured who needs a rest day, I need to get warmed back up. So after a long day at work it was time to hit the gym. I figured I would just work on some abdominal exercises and stick with my normal run schedule. It wasn't long before that was out the windows. I started with 3 sets of 50 crunches, then thought I would run a mile to see how my legs felt after a week off. Was a happy to run that mile dialed in right at 10:00 min. I went back to the floor and knocked out another 3 sets of 50 crunches. Then back up for a light run, just put in a 1/2 mile to see if any pain would flair up if I upped my speed a bit. Then back to the floor for another 3 sets of 50 crunches.

It was safe to say that my abs were worn out when I was finished. I was ready to call it quits and was heading for the locker room when I over heard one of the trainers saying they didn't have enough people for their class. My wife is a trainer at this same gym and I always feel bad when she has to cancel a class cause she doesn't have enough people. So I asked what kind of class it was... turns out I was going to try yoga for the first time. I have always had a thought in the back of my mind that I wanted to try yoga sometime. With all my back problems I thought maybe it could help. An hour later I am sold that yoga is very helpful. I felt great when I walked out of there. After my work out the calm stretching was a nice finisher. So it looks like I may pick up this yoga class on Mondays as an active rest.

Also on the good news side of life I may have a side job coming up soon. Nothing much just a one day thing, but the money it brings in would be great to go toward a bike helmet and a bike trainer. After that I have to find a wet suit, goggles, and a tri suit. Everything is falling in place just have to be patient while I gather everything up.

2 comments:

RunKateRun said...

Yoga is AWESOME for running. I run faster and more injury-free since I started doing it once a week. Keep it up!!

RunKateRun said...

Oh yeah....I just made the connection....I know your wife, don't I?? I just realized who you are. (Yeah, the slow kid thing doesn't just apply to my running!!)